Casey, Ashley, Chase & Jimmy

Monday, February 22, 2016

Why I Chose to GO BACK TO SCHOOL!


For those who don't know, I decided to go back to school last September and I am just finishing up my first term (6 month terms). 
I have finished 25 credits in 6 months! and I only have 16 credits left!
I am getting my Bachelor's of Science in Nursing.
It hasn't been too bad since I was able to transfer around 70 credits in from having my RN license and from my Bachelor's in Exercise Science degree from BYU.

So WHY am I doing this?
Pretty much all of the hospitals in California require all nurses to have a Bachelor's in Nursing. 
so LAME! 
Especially since I already have 3 years experience working in the hospital and all nurses take the same licensure test. Oh well. 
It is kind of a means to and end for me.

My ultimate goal is to become a lactation consultant (help new moms learn to breastfeed). 
And although it is not a prerequistite to be a Nurse, it gives you a huge advantage especially if you have worked in labor/delivery, postpartum or NICU.....which I have not :(

So this is why I am finishing my nursing degree. I need to get a hospital job working in any of those areas so that I can acrue contact hours with new moms. In order to sit for the exam to become a lactation consultant, you need these hours. 
Plus I really want to work in the NICU, postpartum or labor/delivery anyways.

Ever since becoming a mom I have felt extra passionate about breastfeeding and promoting it. I also would love to just work with new babies and moms. Helping with the whole process and taking care of them would be so awesome! I feel like I can really relate since I have had two babies. 

So lets hope I can finish this degree soon and maybe get a hospital job before I decide to have another baby! If not, my time will come. This is my 10 year plan so if it doesn't happen soon it WILL happen eventually. When I get my mind set on something I make it happen. 
So current goal is to finish those 16 credits before JUNE!

LETS DO THIS!








 photo DSC00184_zps2b214882.png

2 comments

  1. Good for you, Ash! Keep it up & you'll be done in no time. I've been so lucky in CA to not have to have a BSN. Hope you are able to quickly find a job in a perinatal area so you can get the experience! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! yeah thats the goal but I'm not too worried If I decide to have another baby. I just want to get the school part out of the way now because the longer i wait the harder it will be.... How are you doing? are you still working????

      Delete