Casey, Ashley, Chase & Jimmy

Monday, November 24, 2014

Pregnany, Body Image and Not Being Allowed to Exercise



APRIL 2014
and NOVEMBER 2014 (29 weeks Prego)


People say that the second pregnancy goes by faster than the first but for some reason that has not been the case with me. I think it might be due to the fact that I was working full-time the first time. Even though I was on bed rest for six weeks it didn't seem to go by that slow. This time I have had so much going on but also a lot not going on. We found out I was pregnant, then we moved to California and ever since I've been here I feel like time has stood still! I'm not allowed to really work and exercise (not even walk up a hill). So basically I just take care of my energy-filled toddler Chase everyday and try to keep my house clean. 

I have days lately where I am depressed and in a funk for seriously no reason at all. I live at the beach in probably one of the coolest cities ever with awesome weather year-round. The only reason I can see why I get in these moods is my lack of exercise (and maybe my high dose injection of Progesterone I receive weekly in my bum). 

For me exercise is my stress reliever. I also did it so I could kind of eat what I want on occasion. Pre-pregnancy I would workout 4-5 days a week. Whether it was Xtend Barre Classes in Utah, going on a hike/walk or doing at home DVDs (jillian michaels/tracy anderson). I was not super skinny or toned by any means but I just FELT BETTER. I loved the way exercise made me feel. I had more energy, I was happier and I overall felt better about my body. Exercise is definitely the one thing I am missing right now in my life. 

Which leads me to body image. I think most of us girls struggle with this. I have gained more weight this time around than with Chase. The difference this time is that I literally can not do anything about it except try to eat healthy. And let's face it, who has the willpower to do that when you are pregnant!?!?! I tried a couple weeks ago and I actually did cut out refined carbs/sugar for a whole six days! Then I thought what is the point of this? I gain weight no matter what. 

Most pregnant women can walk or do yoga to keep their bodies somewhat toned. I am not supposed to do anything but relax. I know that may sound really appealing but it is also hard to watch my muscles all fade away and turn to cellulite. The only thing I have found that has helped me is to PRAY. and remember what a miracle pregnancy is. 

I do this daily. I pray at night and almost every morning. I thank Heavenly Father for the chance I have to have another baby. For the opportunity to be a Mother. I thank him for a healthy growing baby inside of me. I think of all the things that could be going wrong and remember that things are really not as bad as they seem. 

I try to remember that my body is a vessel. I have been given the responsibility to grow this little baby. With the day to day chaos I tend to forget this. But then I feel this little baby boy kick and I remember how cool it is to grow a tiny human inside of me! This is for sure the BEST thing about being pregnant. 

I am not perfect though. And I will admit that I probably find myself more often than not comparing my "normal" pregnant body to those skinny faces, arms and legs of those freak pregnant girls that only get a bump. I have to tell myself that is not realistic for me. Everyone is different. I remind myself of how blessed I am to even be able to HAVE A BABY! Chase is the greatest blessing I have ever received and I can't believe that I get to do it again. 

So here's to having healthy babies and gaining healthy pregnancy weight! 
I already have a post-pregancy workout regimen planned for February :) Until then you will probably find me eating donuts and drinking chocolate milk. 


 photo DSC00184_zps2b214882.png

5 comments

  1. You are awesome! Plus, you look great! It really is hard to see our bodies change so drastically in such a "short" amount of time - especially the second time around.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley everytime I see a pic of you I think "wow she looks good!" I know how hard it is to not be able to exercise! I hated not being able to when I was injured and often was so sad and depressed for no reason and realized it was because I wasn't running. I am sorry girl and glad that you are realizing the bigger picture and how sweet it will be to have another tiny chase running around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley you're right. You're doing it all well! And your comment about freak pregnant women made me laugh out loud loudly!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. with my pregnancy weight not coming off as quickly as I wanted to...this post is especially inspiring! thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome!! My mentality while being pregnant is, "I'll worry about it later!" - so you eat those donuts and chocolate milk and not feel bad about it! Seriously, you are awesome and always adorable...don't let anything get you down. And don't compare, it's so hard for me to do but I have to remind myself that there's no point. Pregnancy body image is definitely a trial women have but you're right, pregnancy also one of the greatest blessings we have. I hope this next month FLIES by for you! Wish we lived closer so we could do Jillian Michael's 30 day shred together, I'm sure you'd be a much better partner than Brooklyn, who is climbing on me the entire time ;) YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete